5 Questions With - Walk Off The Earth
You’ve heard Walk Off The Earth before…you just might not realize it.
The Canadian 5-piece became YouTube sensations when they posted their cover of Gotye and Kimbra’s “Somebody That I Used To Know” with every member recreating the song with only one guitar. The video helped bring even more attention to the surprise chart-topped, and since the cover was uploaded last January, it has accrued over 150 million views.
The tune was mutually beneficial, as it also launched WOTE into worldwide fame. The band released their debut full length earlier this year off Columbia to much acclaim.
The band is headlining the brand new THE NINES festival outside of Boston in early August, and they would love to see you there (as would we of course, but we’re trying to make them seem like good guys).
Pop! Bang! Boom! has a pair of festival passes for the festival, which also features Explosions in the Sky, Kid Koala, Matt Pond, and Delta Spirit. Check out more at theninesfestival.com and email email@example.com (oh my god that’s me!) if you’d like to go to the show for FREE!
Oh, and they answered a few questions for us the other day. Didn’t I mention that?
1. Walk Off The Earth? Now why would we go and do a thing like that?
Throwing on a set of headphones and chilling out to one of our albums sometimes has that effect on people!
2. Since the band first developed a large following because of YouTube covers, is there pressure to continue to do them, or does a group grow out of posting videos like that at a certain point?
I don't think we have anything to grow out of. Especially when it comes to YouTube. It's an amazing channel that allows people all over the world to not only listen too but watch some of the best independent music out there. That's something that we will always want to be a part of. And whether it be a cover or an original song, both will be joined by a crazy ass WOTE video.
3. Tell us about how this year has been for you guys - an album, touring, and Juno nominations. What could top this?
We've been extremely fortunate the last couple years. Everyday something new and even better than the last day happens. I really don't know what could top everything that's happened so far. As long as we continue to be able to make music and videos it will be more than enough for us.
4. Is the band planning on taking a short break now that Gianni and Sarah just became parents?
Not at all. We are more busy than we have ever been and gianni and Sarah have lots of love around them to help make sure their family always comes first.
5. (We ask everyone this) What are some artists, bands or songs that you are listening to that we should all go check out?
Our great friends "The Mowglis" are really picking up steam and they have some great new songs. I'm personally a big fan of tallest man on earth, and the new JT album is sick...I could go on but I'll leave it there.